HOT WATER HEATER TROUBLE SHOOTER
Here are some common problems people have with their exsisting hot water heaters:
1. Caused by rust and sediment - flush and clean tank.
Water has Bad Odor
1. Bacteria build up in tank.
2. Clean tank with chlorine bleach or hydrogen peroxide.
3. Check/replace anode rod.
Low Hot Water Pressure
- Water shut at water heater not completely open.
- Faucet stem or aerator clogged with sediment.
- Faucet supply line clogged.
- Faucet water shut off clogged.
- Water heater dip tube clogged.
- Water line leaving water heater clogged with sediment.
- Shut off valve at water heater malfunction.
- Follow the link below for detail help with each step.
Relief Valve Dribbling Water
1. Spring in relief valve is weak.
2. Water heater pressure to high. Install thermal expansion tank.
Relief Valve Releasing Large Amounts of Hot Water
1. Water heater is to hot - Go to gas or electric troubleshooting guide for help with your particular type of water heater.
Water Heater Leaking
1. Water heaters have several ports or opening in the tank, such as the drain valve, pressure relief valve, gas control valve or electric heating elements. Check all ports for water leaks. Also check the plumbing above the water heater.
2. If after all the checks you can't find a leak and you have lots of water on the floor the water heater tank is most likely leaking.
Water heater tanks can't be repaired.
Not enough hot water
The cold water supply entering a water heater may drop as much as 25 degrees during the winter. This temperature difference will cause a water heater to recover much more slowly.
A 40 gallon water heater can only deliver about 27 gallons of usable warm water. Its very easy to use up hot water without realizing it.
As sediment builds up in a water heater, it takes more energy to heat the water.
Its a good idea to flush a water heater every 3 months in areas with hard water.
Excessive sediment is the major cause of low hot water pressure.
This is for informational purposes only, you should alway contact a license professional if you are experienceing problems with your hot water heater.